18 November 2007

Hooray for Australian Cinema!

Since I'm over here in Australia for a little while longer, I've decided it would be a great idea to look up some great Australian films. If anyone has suggestions, I'd much appreciate it. (And yes, I plan on checking out Jindabyne).

Anyway, first up was The Adventures of Priscilla, Queen of the Desert.


I guess some people could find this offensive or something (those people need to lighten up), but I loved it. It's completely over the top while still finding time for moments of honest to god tenderness. It's so damn refreshing nowadays in a comedy full of eccentric characters for the makers to still respect the characters and treat them like human beings. When directors treat characters with spite, with no real sympathy (ahem, Running with Scissors), it shows, and doesn't make for a good movie. In Priscilla, the three leads may be over the top, but they're not just clowns we're supposed to mock for being that way. The relationship between Terrence Stamp's Bernadette and Bill Hunter's Bob is actually, GASP, sweet. We're not supposed to think it's hillarious that these people could have feelings for eachother. There's humor involved, sure, but not the type that scoffs at the two of them for the way they feel.

Hugo Weaving...how did he gut stuck pidgeon-holed as Mr. Smith? He's great in this, and it's 180 degrees from his most famous role in The Matrix. Stop working with the Wachowski brothers, Hugo. That's my advice to you.

My favorite part of the movie, though, has to be Guy Pearce. Which leads me to Today in Great Movie Quotes:



"Oh, for goodness sakes, get down off that crucifix. Someone needs the wood."

I'm totally on the Guy Pearce bandwagon. I hope the rumors are true, and he's reteaming with his The Proposition director John Hillcoat on the adaptation of Cormac McCarthy's The Road. Anyway...



Paint has never been hotter.

Oh...and I can't not mention the costumes. Major credit belongs to Lizzy Gardiner and Tim Chappel for the outfits they were able to dream up.


Best. Oscar. Dress. Ever.

4 comments:

Glenn Dunks said...

My favourite quote is "Now listen here you mullet. Why don't you go light your tampon and blow your box apart, because it's the only bang you're ever gonna get Sweetheart."

I love that movie more than words can express.

RJ said...

Terrence Stamp was so great. I didn't talk about him much, did I? But he was spectacular.

I think my fave part was

"What the fuck are you trying to do? Kill me? you stupid bitch!"

"Sorry"

"Oh, sorry Bob, I thought it was fucking Bernie!"

Vance said...

Someone could find PQOTD offensive? How? It's so overthetop great! Even if you didn't think it was great. It's so overthetop.

You need to find that big shoe on top of the bus while you're in Oz and take a picture in it!

MelissaS said...

I've just discovered your blog so a bit belatedly hope you had a great time in Australia!
Our Aussie cinema is either really good or really bad :-)
For Australian films to watch I recommend "The Big Steal" or if you want to see a young Judy Davis and a young Sam Neill check out "My Brilliant Career" - I am still outraged at the choice she makes in the end!